A word about this compilation: this isnt a CD of songs you hear at the rink, not a "Jock Jams" kind of thingno Kid Rock or Rage Against the Machinesorry! It IS a collection of songs, themes, comedy bits, and narratives about the great sport of hockey. I have included a brief description of each piece, along with content warnings for those of you with wee ones running about the house! I hope you enjoy themLets Go Hockey and LETS GO CAPS!!!!
1. The Hanson Brothers . . . . . I'm Gonna Play Hockey . . . . . 4:23 Profanity Warning!
This is one of my favorite songs about hockeyA Ramones-esque ditty about making it in the NHL
2. Dangerous Darrin . . . . . Hockey . . . . . 2:10 Profanity Warning!
A tribute to the greatest game on earth in the grand old punk style!
3. The Arrogant Worms . . . . . Me Like Hockey . . . . . 3:31
Not really a song, per semore like a combination song/comedy skit. Has a bit of Euro-bashing content, but meant in a joking manner.
4. The Zambonis . . . . . Shot . . . Score! . . . . . :38
Just a quickie from the best all-hockey, all-the-time band everThe Zambonis!! I highly recommend that you pick up one or all of their CDs, which can be bought directly from their website: http://www.thezambonis.com
5. Bob and Doug McKenzie . . . . . Hockey Editorial . . . . . 1:15
Remember these guys? Eh, hoser? A quick bit about the sport from the Great White North
6. Hockey Night in Canada . . . . . (Saturday Night) . . . . . 1:25
An intro song played during the last game broadcast from Maple Leaf Gardens
7. The Zambonis . . . . . Breakaway . . . . . 2:43
Did I tell you this band was great? I did? Ok, just checking! This is one of my favorite Zambonis songs
8. Captain Tractor . . . . . Frozen Puck to the Head . . . . . 3:18
What hockey CD would be complete without a love song? A cute tale of a minor league goalie who falls in love with a truck stop waitress whose "lips were as red as the jello in the window display"gotta love it!
9. The Hanson Brothers . . . . . The Hockey Song . . . . . 2:00
The first of three, count em three, versions of the best hockey song ever!
10. Bob Costas . . . . . 1980 U.S. Defeats the Soviet Union . . . . . 2:39
Costas recounts the "Miracle on Ice," complete with the famous Al Michaels call of the final moments of the game
11. Atom and His Package . . . . . Goalie . . . . . 2:13
A rather bizarre but humorous tune about a 1500 pound goalie. Best line: "You cannot fake out blubber dude!
12. ESPN . . . . . National Hockey Night Theme . . . . . 1:01
Familiar to all Americans who love hockeythis theme reminds me of the playoffs!
13. The Zambonis . . . . . The Goalie is Drunk . . . . . 1:37
A truly weird one, but I like it anywaylisten at the end for the drunken goalie telling you to get out of his crease!
14. Gear Daddies . . . . . I Wanna Drive the Zamboni . . . . . 2:37
Featured in "Mystery Alaska," this is a tale of a kid whose dreams of driving the ice resurfacer were cruelly crushed by the rink ownersob!
15. Drew and Mike . . . . . Olympic Russian Hockey Team . . . . . 1:19
I think this was a radio skitnot sure of its origins. Makes fun of Russian names big time, and is slightly off-color so be forewarned. I just like the color commentators voiceit cracks me up!
16. Gary Glitter . . . . . Rock 'n Roll Part 2 . . . . . 2:58
Would be a sin not to include it
17. Royal Canadian Air Farce . . . . . Hockey Talk . . . . . 3:04
A comedy bit that reveals what hockey players REALLY talk about on the bench!
18. NHL on Fox . . . . . :50
The theme played on all hockey broadcasts on regional FoxSportsNet affiliates
19. Rusty . . . . . The Hockey Song . . . . . . 2:21
Version number 2 of the classic ditty
20. The Zambonis . . . . . Davey Hattrick . . . . . 3:10
These guys rule!! Just substitute "Peter" for "Davey," and youve got a nice tribute to our very own Slovakian Sniper! Gabba Gabba Hey!
21. Hockey Night in Canada . . . . . Main Theme (1980's) . . . . . :34
22. Don Cherry Hockey Song . . . . . 3:30
This one is a bit of a mysteryI have no idea of the real title or artist of this silly song, but I love it anyway. If anyone knows who sings it or what its called please let me know!!
23. The Zambonis . . . . . Hockey Holidays . . . . . 2:38
Everyone loves a nice holiday songthis one suggests that we take a break from cross-checking and cracking sticks over heads and just say "Happy Holidays!"
24. Stompin' Tom Connors . . . . . The Hockey Song . . . . . 2:13
The original version of the best hockey song ever. A fitting way to wrap up a disc devoted to the coolest game on Earth!